Monday, October 31, 2005

Neverland

It’s all about the children’s books, isn’t it?

After a couple of weeks you’d think I’d have a number of fascinating and terribly exciting things to relate, right? So wrong it’s Right. Or is that so Right it’s wrong? Oh dear, brain on vacation but, I think, time to start using the darn thing again. Honestly, my war against my brain is quite painful to behold. Well, the hangovers are; and not so much to behold as to be in the midst of. Oh yes, sense is my friend. Now, what’s a friend again and why is sense one? What, if fact, is sense? I suspect that this is going to get all painfully philosophical and will drive be back into the cool caress of beer. I may be having a little problem with beer. And Sunday nights. And both together. Oh but I must stop spending my Sunday nights at the Duke – honestly, when the bar staff start chatting to you like an old mate [and know your drink order] you know you’ve become a smelly old regular. There are worse things, of course, of course.
The trip away was, well, away and mildly drunken. Strangely, it had something of an epiphaniacal week [make up your own etymology, I did]. Ahhhh, nothing like the sheer bloody insanity of the tropics to bring about revelations – especially that one about the four inbreds of the apocalypse. And, of course, affirmations - ‘this is not the life for me; this is not the life for me’. Please delete from the collective memory any comment I made about biological clocks ticking. Mine is no longer ticking. Not only is it not ticking but it is currently cowering under a bed all aquiver. Which is precisely where it should be, having no place in my present life. And, oh but of course, there are all the ‘why am I still pissing about’ and ‘here’s what I want to do’ type minipiphanies. Hopefully I won’t sit on them too long as is my terrible tendency.
Anything else I might have to say is of the minor boring rant and rave kind…maybe if I type it really quickly and all together…? TheflightssuckedbecauseIdidn’tgetawindowseat[thisruinsitforme,virgincunts].Myparentsare crazierthanevenihadthoughtandgettingmoresoas theyearsprogress.Thehomecomingwasruinedbytelstra being,youguessedit-completecunts,overmyphonelinehavingissueswhich weren’tfixeduntilthisafternoondespitebeingreported onFriday.That’saboutall.DamnImissedmyinnernet.

Ah, go on, missed me, didn't you?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We missed you? Did you go away or something?

Sounds like a pretty hectic holiday to me.

Shelley said...

More like manic - I mentioned my parents, didn't I?

Anonymous said...

Ummm, as a newie, can I ask if that would be the Duke in Adelaide?? (Yes, I realise that is like asking someone from Sydney if they know my cousin... LOL)

Shelley said...

Is your cousin called Dave?
The Duke, formerly the Duke of Edinburgh, of Enmore Road - if there's some weird spacial-temporal thing going on it could be the same pub. Full of gothy types and just general strange people. No, wait, I was there. I swear, who reads in pubs when the normal speaking volume of patrons is at shouting level?

RLM said...

Unless I'm misremembering badly, the Duke loses points for having a damn great TV screen on one wall.

Or was that just the pictures in my head?

Anyway, welcome back - and remember: hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion.

Shelley said...

Ah the giant tv is in what is now the smoke free [and usually patron free] zone. Right near the well-hidden pokies.

Thanks for the instructions - knew I was forgetting something...

Unknown said...

ahhhh, it's nice to have you back.

manic vacations....sounds like you need another week to REALLY recooperate...

Shelley said...

A week? A year or two would be good....