Saturday, November 04, 2006

A cup of tea, a bex, and a good lie down.

It’s been quite a long day, so much so that I had to have a late afternoon/early evening nap.

I don’t normally write about my days, finding them fairly boring blog fodder, but I’m bored now and slightly grumpy as I wait for my tea to seep and am being forced, by a kind neighbour, to listen to The Gambler. So I figured, why not?
It was a very early day for me because, apparently, the environment can’t wait for the afternoon – I say, it’s waited this long so a comfortable sleep in should be the accepted norm, apparently not. So now my poor wee feet hurt from my crap shoes and my back aches from standing on hard ground for forever. I have tramped ground today, and made fun of my comrades, and, as I so rarely do, entered into the bonhomie of the day [making fun of aged hippies, and Gucci’d ladies-who-lunch excepted]. I also developed a slight ear-ache from the unlovely politician fellow who needs microphone lessons. Later, oh so much later in the day I developed a headache the like of which I’ve rarely had before – it lingers a little on the right side. Anyway, the walk went off damply and with limited hitches and ended, eventually, and we departed.
There is a slight confusion of feeling when one participates in a mass event which deviates from one’s normal Saturday and neglects all usual activities. We were, you might say, at a loose end and upon coffee-ing in Enmore I felt that the day was perfect only for going to the flicks. We arrived at Dendy ten minutes in the red to see Little Miss Sunshine – damn them for starting on time and damn me for being used to a full half hour of ads before the main event. I can’t recall the last time I laughed until the tears were rolling down my face with a roomful of people doing the exact thing. The dance scene, oh my, the dance scene! I will buy this on DVD just for that scene.
See how dull I write my days? You can see why I don’t normally do it and why I solemnly swear that I won’t do it again [all promises I make are, of course, to be taken with a grain of salt as I rarely remember them from one day to the next – internet records not withstanding].

Oh gods, it’s turned into a regular Kenny Rogers fest here, so remember, Ruby, don’t take your love to town.

9 comments:

Don Quixote said...

Well done for going on the walk against warming. And Little Miss Sunshine is a fantastic film.

Shelley said...

It really wasn't much of an effort - except fot the getting out of bed early on a rainy Saturday thing.

You can't tell me what happens in the first few minutes can you? We missed those.

Unknown said...

I despise Kenny Rogers...particularly that song.

As for Little Miss Sunshine...it was hysterical! My favourite has to be the drive and grab. Hilarious.

Shelley said...

Which song, Marina? The Gambler or Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuby, don't take your love to town?

I must admit to having quite a loathing of him myself - pity my tragic old ma doesn't/didn't.

Don Quixote said...

In the first few minutes of the film, Toni's character picks up her brother, who had recently attempted suicide, from the hospital. She takes her brother home and he is then introduced to the family.

Mars said...

Little Miss Sunshine was brilliant. I loved the roll and grab they had to do to get into the car, especially when the suicidal-brother gets really pumped up and screams "no-body gets left behind!"
That dance scene is also awesome... although, it doesn't top the dance scene at the end of Napoleon Dynamite...dear god, that was gold.

PS nice template etc...

Dan said...

LMS is a very fun film! The dance at the end made me squirm a bit, but in a good this-is-funny-but-uncomfortable way. As for Kenny, The Gambler is one hell of a finely crafted tune!

Mish said...

Ugh, I finally just got around to blogging about this. I bumped into so many people I knew there but didn't see you. I would have given you a lollipop, for reals.

I will have to check out that movie though, I am in dire need of some laughs these days.

Adam said...

Ahhh Mars, I won't tell anyone.

Dear Nails, can you post something? I would like to do some nails related reading to help me get through the day.