Saturday, February 09, 2008

When I grow up.

I had a conversation with my cousin today. A civil one. This is unusual enough to warrant a mention. It was a pretty weird conversation as we were both pretty mellow and none of the 'ugh, you're fucking up your life' stuff was as annoying as it usually is. We were talking about money and work and how to get better jobs and how much money is enough. We spoke of moving in pursuit of money and here I am rather bad - I could not live in anything other than a major city again and even then the only two in Australia that I consider worth the effort are Sydney and Melbourne. Maybe it is time to pack up and move on and maybe take my cousin with me [joke, we'd kill each other en route]. Maybe it's just a seven year itch that'll vanish soon enough. He told me to consider jobs there anyway. 'What have you got to lose?' Then again, he also predicted that I'd marry and breed and end up in some country shithole with undue haste. It is always possible that he was joking about one or the other or even both. I don't know.
The other thing, and this is weird because we've not discussed it before, is that he told me to write.

6 comments:

DS said...

Do you not already write? I mean other than this blog.

There is something spare about your writing that I find appealing. I had thought you must be a poet.

Shelley said...

No, Dale, I only blog. I'm not a poet at all. I am, in fact, quite a shitty poet when I try - which is rarely. As for the style, well, that can be blamed on a uni history teacher whose catch cry was 'succinct and pertinent!' There isn't really room for waffle in history.

DS said...

I am all astonishment.

Shelley said...

Well, there is the theory that all history is waffle...

Martin Kingsley said...

Mmm, historic waffles.

And as if there is even a decision to be made. MOVE DOWN HERE. NOW. QUICKLY. MAKE IT SNAPPY!

Shelley said...

Ah, Martin, how sweet you are. I have a life here and people who I know and love and who know and love me. I do not have that in Melbourne. I've never even been there.

Still, it's really not that hard to pack up your life and move on, I've done it before and some peopledo it with almost disturbing regularity.